Mike Bennie’s Carrot Tzimmes
- 750g carrots (cut into rounds approx. 1cm thick)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of pitted prunes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot. Add carrots. Sprinkle raisins over the top of carrots.
- In a bowl, whisk together orange juice, chicken stock, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, pepper and salt.
- Pour the mixture over the carrots and raisins.
- Heat pot on medium-high until the liquid begins to simmer. Stir the ingredients once gently.
- Reduce heat, maintain low simmer, cover the pot
- Check after 25 minutes, take the lid off and reduce further for ten minutes or until liquid thickens.
- Add prunes on top of lowest heat simmering ingredients, warm and gently soften prunes for five minutes – don’t cook too long or prunes dissolve.
- Serve warm as a side dish