Mitchell Orr’s Charred Aubergine, Mushroom XO Noodles
- 100g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 200g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 50g mushroom floss
- 1 packet enoki
- 250g long red chili
- 500g peeled garlic
- 150g peeled ginger
- 500ml shao tsing
- 50g shio kombu
- 1litre vegetable oil
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 200ml light soy sauce
- 100g brown sugar
- 2 aubergines
- half bunch red holy basil
- 500g alkaline noodles
- Soak the dried shiitake in hot water until they rehydrate, about an hour. Blitz or finely chop.
- Blitz or roughly chop the fresh shiitake and the enoki.
- Blitz the long red chili.
- Blitz the peeled garlic and peeled ginger.
- Sauté the blitzed ginger, garlic and chills in a large heavy based pot over a medium to high heat. Once they start to colour and become fragrant, add all the mushrooms.
- Continue to sauté until the mushrooms are cooked and beginning to colour.
- Deglaze with the remaining shao tsing and remaining liquid from soaking the dried shiitake. Reduce the liquid by 2/3.
- Turn the heat down to low-medium and add the vegetable oil and the shio kombu. Allow the xo to simmer gently for at least an hour, preferably 3. Stir occasionally to ensure the xo isn’t sticking or burning.
- Once the xo is cooked, season it with the light soy, sugar and red wine vinegar.
- While the xo is simmering, grill the whole aubergines over charcoal or a hot grill. Allow the skins to char and burn the whole way around. If the aubgergine needs more cooking to become completely soft and luscious, place it in an oven at 180C for another 15-20 minutes, or until completely cooked. Peel all the skin and discard it. Tear the aubergine flesh up into nice little strips.
To compose the dish:
- Warm the xo in a pot along with the eggplant.
- Cook the noodles in plenty of salted boiling water. Once cooked, add the noodles to the xo and mix well. Check the seasoning! Toss the basil through at the very last minute.
- Serve immediately.